Membership is open to Chambers of Mines or mining industry associations within the Community, as well as mining companies, international organizations, and others whose work impact mining within the sub-region.
Categories: Four (4) Classification of membership are:
- Ordinary members
- Associate Members
- Honorary Members
- Honorary Observers
a) Ordinary Members
- i. All Chambers of Mines and Mining Associations in the Community who subscribe to the Constitution of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines.
- ii. The members in a general meeting may by ordinary resolution prescribe qualifications for ordinary membership of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines and unless the resolution otherwise provides no person shall thereafter be admitted to membership unless he/she has the prescribed qualifications.
b) Associate Members
- i. Members of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines in general meeting, may resolve by ordinary resolution that the Executive Council may admit to associate membership any person or organization, and may prescribe qualifications for such associate membership.
- ii. Associate members shall be permitted to take part in such proceedings and functions of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines as the resolution shall prescribe or in default of prescription as the Executive Council shall think fit but shall not be members of the of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines in its corporate capacity and shall not have any vote on any resolution at any general meeting of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines or be counted towards a quorum.
c) Honorary Members
- i. Members of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines in a general meeting may resolve by ordinary resolution that the Executive Council admits to honorary membership of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines any person or organization who in the opinion of members has rendered exemplary service to the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines or to any of the objects which the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines was established to promote.
- ii. An honorary member shall have the same rights as an associate member but is exempt from paying any membership subscription of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines but may voluntarily make contributions to the Chamber.
d) Honorary Observer
- i. The coming into force of this Constitution grants Honorary Observer status to ECOWAS Commission and UEMOA Commission. The Executive Council, through the Secretariat, may invite ECOWAS and UEMOA Commissions to participate in meetings of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines.
- ii. The Commissions shall only have deliberative rights and no voting rights at such meetings. Relatedly, decisions at meetings of the ECOWAS Chamber of Mines which affect the Commissions shall be non-binding.